Sunday, December 6, 2009

Quick Comfort

When I am short on time, feeling blue, needing something healthy, or just plain hungry my favorite thing to eat is perhaps the simplest thing I make, short of scrambling an egg...sauteed frozen spinach. Hardly something that requires much of a recipe or needs to be photographed, spinach; much less the frozen kind; is hardly photogenic but man is it delicious.

It can't be just any frozen spinach. I am partial to Cascadian Farms organic frozen spinach (and I've tried them all). The Cascadian Farms frozen spinach is the best unless you are buying a bunch of spinach from the farmer's market and then there's all that submerging, swishing and draining to be done. I don't have time for that. I'm hungry now. And in less than five minutes I will be eating.

Here's what I do...grab a non stick skillet and start heating it (medium high on my electric stove) swirl in a bit of olive oil (if I was Rachael Ray I'd grin like the Joker, laugh maniacally and cackle "EVOO"...then I'd go count my money while my pretend husband rubs my feet) drop in a thick slice of butter (tablespoon?) and as soon as it's good and hot I dump in my bag of spinach (oh yeah- the whole thing, this makes a meal for one as far as I am concerned). I sprinkle the whole thing with kosher salt and a palm full of red pepper flakes, (I like a kick and I don't find the flakes particularly hot) and then I go at it with my tongs, tossing it around until it's not icy and feels hot. I squeeze a lemon wedge over the top and plate it. Breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack is served.

Maybe I'm weird but when I need comfort the softness of the spinach does the trick and I don't have to feel guilty like when I eat the whole package of ramen or macaroni and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment