Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Not a pretty cake...


I love when you discover a recipe that is so utterly simple, so yummy and so unique. That's what I thought when I was reading this blog http://blog.timesunion.com/desserts/omg-she-said/40/ on the Times Union's website. While I was familiar with Rose Levy Beranbaum, I had never heard of her Whipped Cream Cake. Which is not really hers at all but a recipe she adapted for a Delaware restaurateur. There's very little to it, some cream, flour, eggs, sugar...notice I didn't mention butter? Weird, right? Apparently there is enough fat in the cream to make butter unnecessary. The cake comes out ethereally light and sweet. Not at all like angel food cake but not like pound cake either. I've made it twice now and I find that it's great the first day and good the second but gets a bit dry by the third. Of course, you can make sure it all gets eaten in the first two days but that's a lot of cake. What I did was serve it on the third day with some macerated strawberries and freshly whipped cream. Simply delicious, no matter how you have it.

2 comments:

  1. no butter!?! say it ain't so! even without the presence of the tasty yellow stuff, this sounds like a pretty awesome cake. i like easy. :)
    meanwhile, in answer to your coconut question, the stuff i used in my impossible pies was definitely sweetened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like it would be nice with a glaze, too...

    ReplyDelete